Getting Started: Please fill out the online volunteer application to get started. Your application will then be processed by the Chapter Membership Team on the 15th of each month. Online training materials will be provided, in addition to on-road shadowing with an experienced guide. All training must be completed before being paired individually with an athlete for a workout or in a race.
From walkers to those who are closer to the front of the pack, there is a place for you as an Achilles guide. As an Achilles guide, you may do any of the following (but not limited to):
– Help disabled athletes become familiar and proficient with special equipment if needed.
– Participate in workouts with the athlete, providing companionship and positive feedback.
– Provide guidance and running advice during workouts and/or races.
– Help with training & race-day logistics (e.g. transportation, packet pick-up, etc.).
– Participate in the race alongside the athlete with whom you’ve been training.
Some other “off-road” roles of an Achilles volunteer are:
– Help organize training workouts in your area with local Achilles athletes and guides.
– Assist the Chapter Leadership Team with administrative tasks such as athlete recruitment, race organization, race day support, photography, fundraising, social events, representation at race expos, area health fairs, etc.
– Have a special talent or interest to share (e.g. graphic design, fundraising, grant writing)?
We are excited to have you join us! The role of the volunteer is varied and the rewards are endless!